Your baby is wondering: who is this other baby who lives in your house, and that he sees episodically in the bathroom or in this little funny round on his wake mat? Before discovering that the mirror returns his image, he will have to get a clearer idea of his own body and his identity.
Between 2 and 6 months: it is only a reflection
- Your baby just can not see the fuzzy contours of his hands and feet ... So, even if he has a tendency to squint, which is quite normal at his age (his eye muscles have no tone ), to see his nose is impossible for him. Even if he knows he has a face, like you (the proof: seeing you pull his tongue, he draws his!), He has no idea what he looks like!
- If this mirror that you have installed near his cradle or changing table interests him, it is that he adores the play of light and that the surface of the mirror captures it wonderfully!
At 6 months: it's a stranger
- His visual acuity has improved significantly and he perfectly recognizes the image of a face on this shiny surface. By dint of seeing her, she is forced to recognize that she is one of the familiar faces ... and yet her owner does not really participate in family life. Who is this stranger? If you install it in front of the mirror so that it tames this strange friend, make sure to be close to him, to reassure him, because this stranger could well scare him.
Between 9 and 15 months: it's a weird friend
- Your child is still moving on all fours (or already on his legs ...). This allows him to go to the mirror to try to play with this character which he finally understood that he had nothing to fear.
- For the moment, he gives him many surprises: when he tries to touch it, his hand meets only a smooth surface; if he gets too close to it, he bumps into it; if he sucks his thumb or coats his blanket, the other does the same; and above all, if he tries to find him behind the wall that seems to separate them, he has disappeared!
- However, your baby returns tirelessly to meet this fleeing individual. You never know, he may have decided this time to go on his side of the mirror ... Eh no! What it can be annoying, this other baby!
- In all its learning, it is only by doing and remaking that your child understands the full extent of the subject he is addressing. This is how he begins to understand that the one he sees moving in the mirror is not a real person since he can not grasp it, but an animated image.
Around 18-24 months: it's me!
- Well, this baby in the ice does not exist more than the cartoon characters he sees on TV, but his acting is disconcerting: "I advance, he moves forward, I put my fingers in my mouth he puts his fingers in his mouth ... "Your toddler is not far from wondering if he is not dealing with another himself: the reflection of his own body?
- The acquisition of language will help him to confirm this presentiment: he puts his finger on his image and is named by his first name. Our acquiescence: "Yes, it's really you darling!" Goes straight to his heart ... and lights a small light of satisfaction in his eyes: he understood!
- From now on, he knows he has a body of his own. This discovery will considerably help him to set up his process of autonomy ... But also make the mirror much less interesting.